Saturday 12 November 2011

The Importance Of Headlines

Internet users are notorious scanners. I suspect they developed this habit as a defense mechanism, as a way to counteract the enormous volumes of information found on the Internet.

That's why headlines are so important. Headlines act as stop sign, in a crowded universe filled with scanners, on this medium known as the "information superhighway."

The best way to get a scanners attention is to write a targeted headline that makes the reader think to himself, "Hey, that's me they're talking about!"

Many novice copywriters make the fatal mistake of writing headlines that attempt to sell to everyone, and as a result, end up selling to no one.

That's why it's so important to make sure your headlines are targeted.

For example, I'm a copywriter. My target market is anyone who is dissatisfied with the performance of their sales copy.

On my website, the headline of my sales letter simply reads:

"Website Not Making Any Sales? Get A Free Sales Copy Evaluation Today!"

Just 12 simple words that are targeted and super-effective!

But even though the words may appear simple, it's very important to invest some time into creating your headlines.

To end up with the best, targeted headlines possible, you need to write dozens of variations of potential headlines.

I generally write 20 to 30 headlines, and then narrow my list down to the best 10, and from there, the best 5, and finally, the best one.

Having said that, I have to be honest and tell you this. Usually, my very best headlines just pop into my head, without me having to compile a list first.

But I've been writing copy for 25 years. So I have a feel for what works and what doesn't. I don't recommend you use the first headline that pops into your head.  ALWAYS compile a list.

Some copywriters write as many as 50 headlines, and narrow their list down to the top 2 headlines, and then split-test them.

Split-testing is a procedure that ascertains effectiveness, and proper function.

When I first started copywriting, I used to always split-test my headlines.

However, over the years, as I developed more and more experience, I rarely split-test headlines anymore. Why?

Because after 25 years of writing copy, I've developed such an excellent feel for writing headlines, once I decide on the best headline to use, 99% of the time, the headlines I select work exceedingly well.

So how can you determine your best headlines?

Showcase your headlines to other people. Get their opinions.

Just remember, no matter what opinions others may have about your headlines, it's ultimately going to come down to your own gut instinct, as to which headlines you decide to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment